The R&D Supervisor contributes to the formulation of nutritional ingestible products and leads the development of innovative new product technologies for Arbonne. This position plays a key role in the product development process – from concept discussions with Arbonne Marketing, through formulations and manufacturing process collaborations with the Formulation Manager and cross-functional team. This position has a solid working knowledge of raw materials, including botanical extracts, vitamins, minerals and nutraceutical ingredients in dietary supplements and nutritional foods. The R&D Supervisor is heavily involved in initial ingredient selection for product concepts, working closely with Marketing, R&D, Regulatory, Quality, and Supply Chain personnel to develop proposed active ingredients and concepts. In addition, the R&D Supervisor is responsible for ensuring all raw material documentation has been received and reviewed prior to formula finalization, leads Nutrition product certifications, and supports the execution of Arbonne initiatives with our manufacturing vendors to ensure product quality and efficacy, working closely with Arbonne Formulation Manager and Quality team to ensure accuracy of product formulas and related materials.
1. Works closely with the Formulation Manager to translate marketing briefs and consumer needs into product development requests for third party manufacturers.
2. Works closely with Formulation Manager on conceptualization and initial formulation of nutritional supplements for oral application including but not limited to tablets, capsules, powders, ready to drink liquids, and specialty foods such as energy bars.
3. Supports the product development process with:
a. Competitive analysis and research
b. Claim support substantiation vis supplier clinical data and research article review
c. Assists with preliminary regulatory evaluations to ensure compliant formulas and packaging
d. Ensures regulatory requirements are met via labeling and product licensing documentation (scientific research substantiation)
e. Technical information from all related product files (raw material documentation as outlined in raw material document checklist)
f. Information and research required for domestic and international expansion
g. Product certifications (i.e. gluten-free, kosher, vegan, sports, non-gmo)
4. Initiate new product proposals through the development of product development requests, outlined to third party manufacturers, in conjunction with the Arbonne Formulation Manager.
5. Apply understanding of human physiology and ingredient chemistry to ensure proposed product formulas meet corporate standard for purity, safety and efficacy
6. Work closely with the cross-functional team to identify product performance summary, key ingredients, and final ingredient and product claims to meet COGs for proposed products
7. Review technical data from ingredient suppliers/scientific journals, evaluate its validity and conduct comparative analysis to select best performing ingredients and potential product claims
8. Stay abreast of developments in the dietary supplement and functional food industry
9. Work closely with regulatory and marketing teams to ensure adequate substantiation for product marketing and label claims
10. Suggest new product ideas/ingredient suggestions
11. Mentor R&D junior personnel in:
a. Supporting project timelines
b. Ensuring raw material and product documentation is reviewed, accurate and updated
c. Understanding industry regulations and manufacturing practice/quality requirements
d. Connecting with raw material suppliers and third party manufacturers
12. Works closely with assigned cross-functional team members from Supply Chain and Operations, third party manufacturers, Quality, Marketing, Legal, and Regulatory on assigned projects
13. Develops strong, positive working relationships with raw material suppliers, manufacturers and external vendors
14. Deliver on time and accurate tasks as outlined by the product category tracking timeline
15. Multi-task and problem solve, while maintaining a clear sense of priorities and focus
16. Establishes regular communications stream and follow-up with all team/project members
17. Ensures the timely completion of product development activities
18. Other duties as required
2. Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the nutraceutical industry
3. Excellent knowledge of nutrition ingredients, raw material evaluations, research and claims substantiation, and formulation.
4. Some knowledge of quality assurance and control, performance testing, scale up to production, manufacturing limitations, stability testing, and packaging compatibility
5. Existing knowledge of and experience working with numerous nutraceutical and functional food industry suppliers and manufacturers
6. Experience in / exposure to regulatory and labeling compliance requirements of US and international markets, such as Canada, Europe, and Asia-Pacific.
7. Knowledge of Quality System and cGMPs for dietary supplements and food
8. Must be able to research, interpret and report on subject matter to both a technical and non-technical audience
9. Must have strong problem solving, interpersonal, teamwork, project management, and computer skills
10. Must have strong project management skills
11. Must be a self-starter with a high level of initiative
12. Experience setting department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures
13. Detail oriented and able to manage and organize numerous projects
14. Ability to use sound judgment in handling unanticipated situations
15. Ability to function in fast-paced environment and multitask
16. Team player with positive, can-do attitude
17. Requires strong communication skills (oral & written)
18. Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office
Connect With Us